DIY closet organization ideas on a budget can help transform your closet from a cluttered mess to a functional space.
Wouldn’t it be amazing if every home and apartment came with a spacious walk-in closet? Unfortunately, closet space can be hard to come by - whether it’s your bedroom closet, hallway closet, or bathroom closet, chances are you could use some more room.
Luckily, you don’t have to do a complete overhaul of your home or spend big bucks on a professional organizer. You just need a few actionable tips from people who know what they’re talking about - that’s us!
We’re experts in home improvement products from the kitchen to the closet and beyond, and we’re here to help.
In this article, we’re going to go over ways to create more space in your closet, how to keep your things organized, and a few tips for making your space beautiful.
DIY Closet System Plans
These easy DIY closet system plans will help you get organized and stay stress-free. No more opening the closet door to falling items, digging through piles of clothes, or completely forgetting about things you’ve owned for years! These ideas will help you declutter and make more space for the things you love.
Before you try to organize everything in your closet, you have to make sure you actually want everything in there. Go through every item and throw away anything that’s broken or torn. Make a separate pile for things that you want to donate. Try to bring your items to the donation center as soon as possible. Otherwise, you’ll likely end up putting the pile back into the closet!
PVC pipe is one of the best materials for a closet makeover on a budget. It will only run you about $2-$4 per foot. You will, however, need a saw to tim the pipe to the correct size. If you don’t have a saw, your local hardware store should be able to trim the pipe for you.
- Use PVC pipe as drawer organizers. You can create more room and eliminate clutter in drawers by organizing socks, underwear, hosiery, and other small clothing items into their own section of PVC pipe.
- PVC pipe shoe rack. Lay pieces of PVC pipe next to each other and use a hot glue gun to connect them. Glue more pieces on top in a honeycomb shape. The holes should be the perfect size for a shoe, so you can fill the rack up and keep your shoes organized.
Stackable Sterilite storage bins are perfect for storing away seasonal items or items that you don’t use very often. For example, you can keep your winter clothes in one bin, winter shoes in another, and heavy winter blankets in another. Stack them all on top of each other for a well organized “winter” section of your closet.
A few great options include:
- The Sterilite 6-quart stacking drawers - Perfect for socks and underwear, small clothing items, and bathroom storage.
- The Sterilite 32-quart ClearView boxes with latch handles - Perfect for storing shoes, seasonal items, and under-the-bed storage
- The Sterilite 70-quart ClearView boxes with latch handles - Perfect for storing large, bulky items
Tension rods are an amazing way to create more space, and they're very affordable. You can add a clothing rod anywhere in your closet, room or house as long as there are two adjacent walls. You can use a tension rod to hang more clothes, shoes, towels, spray bottles… the list goes on.
Baskets can be a great way to create “drawers” where you don’t have any. For example, three baskets underneath the bathroom sink can be used for toilet paper, extra shampoo and conditioner, and personal hygiene products. This way, everything is organized and easily accessible instead of rolling around in the cabinet together.
Tips for a More Beautiful Closet
If you’ve organized your closet, but still aren’t a fan of the way it looks, you can use these quick design tips to make it more aesthetically pleasing:
- Paint your closet a light color - this will create the illusion of more space
- Use patterned contact paper to jazz up the shelves
- Instead of bulk clear storage containers, go for solid colors and label the container with a label maker to keep everything looking neat and tidy.
These tips are sure to help you find more space in your closets, even if you are working with very limited space. Keeping your closets organized will help create a stress-free environment at home and cut down on the time you spend searching for lost items.
Wholesale Home Improvement Products
Wholesale Home offers a wide range of wholesale organizing products and more. We can help you create a beautiful, well-organized home that promotes calm and serenity instead of stress and anxiety. Browse our online collections from your favorite brands today to get started.